Led by Dietmar Dommenget, Andrea Taschetto, Chen Li, Christine Chung, Claire Vincent & Giovanni Liguori.
The CLEX Tropical Variability group meets fortnightly via videoconference to share research on atmospheric sciences, physical oceanography and climate from subseasonal to multidecadal timescales and beyond.
The meetings occur every second Tuesday at 10am. Meeting reminders are sent to the group email list (email@example.com) on the Thursday and Monday before the meeting.
We have 6 leaders for the tropical variability meetings:
- Dietmar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andrea (email@example.com)
- Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Christine (email@example.com)
- Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Giovanni (email@example.com).
Each leader is responsible for organising for one month. Whenever possible we will organise the meetings around topics that feed into the overall aims of the CLEX Variability Program and may contribute to other CLEX research programs, such as rainfall extremes and drought.
We are aiming for one or two speakers each month. Talks will be around 15 to 20min to allow time for discussions after.
We welcome volunteers to talk in the meetings. If you want to give a talk at the Tropical Variability meeting, please contact Andrea Taschetto (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ) – or one of the leaders above. In particular, we would like to encourage students to present in those meetings. These are informal meetings, you do not need to have a full publication when you present. In fact, these meetings should work as a way to receive feedback before you publish or present to a larger meeting. So, please come with your current study, a few plots, and show to the group.
- Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://unsw.zoom.us/j/825572965
- Or iPhone one-tap: 16699006833,825572965# or 16465588656,825572965#
- Or Telephone: Dial: +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) Meeting ID: 825 572 965. International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/ax4KAMBB6
- Or a H.323/SIP room system: SIP:email@example.com
- or H323: firstname.lastname@example.org (From Cisco)
- or H323: 18.104.22.168##825572965 (From Huawei, LifeSize, Polycom) or 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199 (U.S.). Meeting ID: 825572965
March 17 (ENSO – Leader: Andrea Taschetto)
Speakers: Agus Santoso & Sebastian McKenna.
April 21 (Variability and Drought – Leader: Giovanni Liguori)
May 19 (Variability and Rainfall – Leader: Claire Vincent)
Speakers: Zijie Zhao: Interannual and intraseasonal variability of cloud organisations over the Maritime Continent
June 16 (Tropical Teleconnections – Leader: Chen Li)
July 21 (Tropical Pacific Climate Change – Leader: Dietmar Dommenget)
Speakers: Jules Katjar: Pacific projections and Atlantic relationship.
August 18 (Variability in CMIP6 – Leader: Christine Chung)
- 17/03/20 (ENSO):
- Speakers: Agus Santoso & Sebastian McKenna.
- 10/12/19 (Diverse)
- Michael Eabry. Rossby wave propagation in the Indian Ocean associated with El Niño – Southern Oscillation
- 12/11/19 (Decadal climate change)
- Jiale Lou. A Linear Inverse Model of South Pacific Decadal Climate Variability and Predictability.
- 29/10/19 (Extratropics)
- Qian Li – A Linear Inverse Model of South Pacific Decadal Climate Variability and Predictability.
- 15/10/19 (Diverse)
- Ryan Holmes – Atlantic ocean heat transport enabled by Indo-Pacific heat uptake and mixing. (view slides here – pdf)
- 01/10/19 (ENSO)
- Christine Chung. The influence of the South Pacific and Tropical Atlantic on Tropical Pacific variability in ACCESS-CM2. (view slides here – pdf)
- 17/09/19 (Decadal Climate Change)
- Christian Stassen. Conceptual understanding on large-scale tropical precipitation changes. (view slides here – pdf)
- 03/09/19 (Extratropics)
- Giovanni Liguori – Disentangling the drivers of global and tropical Pacific decadalvariability using large ensembles.
- 20/08/19 (Diverse)
- Tim Cowan. Multi-week predictability of the extreme conditions associated with the February 2019 floods across North Queensland. (view slides here – pdf)
- 06/08/19 (ENSO)
- Sonja Neske. Wind spatial structure underpins ENSO’s oceanic warm water volume changes. (view slides here – pdf)
- 23/07/19 (Decadal/Climate Change)
- Harry Hendon. Continuation of Tropical Pacific Ocean trend will weaken linkage of SAM and extreme El Niño. (view slides here – pdf)
- 09/07/19 (Extratropics)
- Julie Arblaster. The influence of tropical SSTs on Antarctic and Arctic sea ice extent (view slides here – pdf).
- 18/06/19 (Diverse):
- Zijie Zhao. Midsummer drought over Central America and Mexico: Methods, Signatures and Mechanisms.
- 11/06/19 (Cancelled):
- AMOS Conference.
- 28/05/19 (ENSO):
- Shreya Dhame. Atmospheric response to long-term Indian Ocean Warming in CAM5.
- 14/05/19 ( Decadal/Climate Change ):
- Jules Katjar. Global mean surface temperature response to Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation and Atlantic Multidecadal Variability in CMIP5. (view slides here – pdf)
- 30/04/19 (Extratropics – cancelled).
- 16/04/19 (Diverse):
- Chen Li. Flux Correction of the Land Surface Temperature in the UM Model. (view slides here – pdf)
- 02/04/19 (ENSO):
- Asha Vijayeta. Evaluating effect of thermocline depth estimation techniques on ENSO using linear recharge oscillator model.
- 19/03/19 (Decadal/Climate Change):
- Leela Frankcombe. On the Choice of Method for Estimating the Forced Signal in the Presence of Internal Variability. (view slides here – pdf)
- 05/03/19 (Extratropics):
- Giovanni Liguori. Pacific Meridional Modes, ENSO, and tropical decadal variability.
- 19/02/19 (Diverse):
- Andrew Marshall. Climate driver impacts on global ocean surface waves (view slides here – pdf).
- 11/12/18 (ENSO):
- Peter Strutton. TPOS2020 and tropical Pacific biogeochemistry.
- 13/11/18 (Extratropics):
- Shayne McGregor. Model tropical Atlantic biases underpin diminished Pacific decadal variability.
- Kimberley Jane Reid. The Australian Northwest Cloudband: Identification, Mechanisms and Influence on Rainfall.
- 30/10/18 (Climate Change):
- Sugata Narsey. Tropical-midlatitude influences on Australian rainfall variability.
- 16/10/18 (Decadal):
- Nerilie Abram. IOD and tropical climate variability during the last millennium.
- Jess Hargreaves. Do tropical ocean temperatures play a role in altering the width of the tropical rainfall belt? and ‘Christmas Island project proposal’.
- 02/10/18 (ENSO):
- Dietmar Dommenget. CMIP5 dynamical changes of ENSO in the framework of the linear Recharge Oscillator model.
- Scott Power. The impact of global warming on ENSO teleconnection.
- 18/09/18 (Diverse): Introductions.
- 04/09/18 (Extratropics): Introductions.
- 21/08/18 (Climate change): Introductions.
- 07/08/18 (Decadal): Introductions.
- 24/07/18 (ENSO): Introductions.